Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

The home entertainment portion of my little life here on Planet Dung (does that make me a Dung Beatle?) is undergoing a change.

My entire life I've been a cable guy. Cable has been, relatively speaking, good to ole JC. But sometimes good just ain't enough. Sometimes you want more. Like quality service. Comcast has screwed up a few times in the past with us. It seems like every August/September I've had problems with my MLS Direct Kick sports package. Heck, I've had problems getting the Comcast people on the phone to understand what MLS Direct Kick is (typical response-"Sorry, sir, but we don't carry that channel" to which I respond "It's not a channel, and I've been getting it from you for the last two years." to which they respond "Sir, it's not a channel.").

But the big screw up was when we mailed out a payment a few weeks in advance. Suddenly, we were getting "late payment" notices. My wife finally mailed a second check. Shortly after, we get the original check back in the mail from Comcast. Seems some office lackey had torn one corner when handling it, so they mailed it back to us. They charged us a late fee for their own error.

So we switched to DirecTV, which offered us more for less. Now we get DirecTV in both the living room and the master bedroom. This has led to a tiny ego in the wife, who now stands on our bed every night holding her remote aloft and shouting out like Prince Adam turning into He-Man "I have the powerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!".

As part of DirecTV, we get Setanta Sports and Fox Sports Espanol, two more soccer channels to go with Fox Soccer Channel and GolTV. I get all the soccer I can handle, and all the big leagues from around Europe and South America. Coupled with my MLS coverage on the Disney channels and Direct Kick package this spring, and I'm in football heaven!

Just this weekend, I DVRed seven exciting games:

GolTV:
Bundesliga-Borussia Dortmund v. Bayern Munich
Serie A-Sampdoria v. Inter Milan
La Liga-Villareal v. Real Madrid

Fox Soccer Channel:
FA Cup-Blackburn v. Luton Town

Setanta:
Coca Cola League One-Gillingham v. Tranmere Rovers
French Ligue 1-Lens v. Saint Etienne
Dutch Eriedivisie-Roda JC v. PSV Eindhoven

And that's just the first weekend, Dungers!

Last week we switched our phone over to AT & T. A bit more than we paid before, but worth it because we also are getting AT&T high speed internet today, replacing Comcast internet.

So some big switches, and saving roughly forty bucks a month. Suck those eggs, Comcast!

In Other News:

Snow sucks. I told you that story to tell you this one. Snow really sucks. Using the new snow thrower about two times a day to keep our walk and drive way clear of the white shit.

Woke up today with another two inches on the ground (as opposed to my wife, who woke up with ten inches in bed-heeeyyyy!). I kid, I kid. Two inches on the ground, and two degrees in the air. I walked into the breezeway and lost all site of my gens for the next week.

Terminology update:
"gens" is genitals. Pay attention, people.

So it's cold out, and snowy. Spring cannot come fast enough. Thank Buddha that January is almost over. Now we just have to make it through February and all will be good.

Plus we'll be that much closer to Mrs. JC's birthday and the start of the Major League Soccer season.

Be seeing you.

No comments: