Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Quest for the Cup Is Here (And I Was Kinda Right For Once!)

EASTERN CONFERENCE#1 DC United v. #4 Chicago Fire#2 New England Revolution v. #3 New York Red Bulls

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINAL#1 DC United v. #3 New York Red Bulls

EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: DC United (who else?)

WESTERN CONFERENCE#1 Houston Dynamo v. #4 Colorado Rapids#2 Los Angeles Galaxy v. #3 FC Dallas

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL#1 Houston Dynamo v. #2 Los Angeles Galaxy

Now, in my original prediction I had this as the MLS Cup final, with the Galaxy winning. However, that was a different situation. I think in a one-off cup final at a neutral spot that the Galaxy would win. But a one-off conference final at the Dynamo's home stadium, I like their chances better.

WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: Houston Dynamo

MLS CUP 2007DC United v. Houston Dynamo
MLS CUP CHAMPIONS: DC United

Hate to jinx my club by picking them to win it all (for the fifth time, suckas!), but it's so very hard to repeat in MLS. Only one club has ever done it (hint-same team that will win it in 2007).So there it is. Read it, weep, wipe your eyes, than chuckle at my thinking I can call the MLS Cup final three years in a row.Be seeing you.



The above is copied from my early April blog on MLS Predictions Revisions. I re-post this, because how awesome am I? Way back before the first ball was even kicked, I called the six of the eight playoff clubs, and got the entire Eastern Conference first round correct.

Seeing how awesome I am, it's time to make my playoff predictions. Remember, I have correctly called the MLS Cup finalists the last two years (we won't talk about my picking the winner incorrectly). Here it goes:

EASTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS:
DC United v. Chicago Fire
This is a tough one. United comes in having only lost once in fourteen games. They also won the Supporters Shield for the second year in a row (a league first). However, United have always fumbled against the Fire. At MLS Cup 1998, Chicago beat DC two-nil. In the 2003 playoffs, Chicago beat DC two-nil in both legs, for a four-nil aggregate victory. In the 2005 playoffs, Chicago drew DC nil-nil in the first leg, than beat DC four-nil in the second. So in five playoff games, Chicago has beaten DC 10-nil. Chicago has looked good under new coach Osario and star signging Blanco. This will be a interesting series. But in the end, I gotta stay true to my guys.
MY PICK: DC United (I'll say 3-2 on aggregate)

New England Revolution v. New York Red Bulls
Should be good. It would be good for MLS if New York could actually win a playoff series. But I don't see it happening here. Defense is too suspect, and Revs are always tough. Hell, they've been to the Eastern Conference finals the last 5 years in a row! I originally predicted New York to win here, but I'm officially going with...
MY PICK: New England Revolution (I'll say 4-2 on aggregate)

WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFFS
Club Deportivo Chivas USA v. Kansas City Wizards
Chivas USA had a great year, finishing first in the West. Especially when you consider I had them not even making the playoffs. I was wrong. Preki has done a good job as coach and has a very strong, attacking team with perhaps the best goalkeeper in MLS right now in Brad Guzan. KC started strong, but faded around the mid-season. They just made it in on the final game. I like Onalfo, and I like his attacking mindset. This will be, to me, the best first round series. It's tough to call, especially with Chivas losing Ante Razov to a knee injury. There's always one upset in the first round, and I'm taking a shot here.
MY PICK: Kansas City Wizards (I'll say 3-2 on aggregate)

Houston Dynamo v. FC Dallas
The battle of Texas. I don't think it will be close. Dallas looked good at the start, but this team has stumbled lately. Dynamo are the defending champions and have been strong since May. It won't really be close.
MY PICK: Houston Dynamo (I'll say 4-1 on aggregate)

CONFERENCE FINALS:
EAST
DC United v. New England Revolution
United played strong the entire second half. Revs are always strong. A rematch from last year, at the same site. A great crowd should be enough to help my boys advance. I really don't want the Revs back in MLS Cup, even if they weren't playing DC. Three times they've made it there. All three MLS Cups were nil-nil at the end of regulation (only time it's ever happened; thanks Revs!). All three went deep into stoppage before getting a goal. They just suck the life out of a cup final. I'm backing my club.
MY PICK: DC United (I'll go with 2-1)

Houston Dynamo v. Kansas City Wizards
Interesting. I still think the defending MLS Champions are a strong, safe bet to get back to the big game. KC will prove a challenge, but falter in the end.
MY PICK: Houston Dynamo (I'll go with 2-nil)

MLS CUP 2007
DC United v. Houston Dynamo
A sold-out RFK will be rocking for the homeside. In MLS' entire twelve year history, only two teams have played MLS Cup on their homefield. Revs in 2002 and United in 1997. This is a strong United team, with great fan support. Only one club has ever repeated as MLS Champions (DC, of course, in 1996 & 1997), and I don't see Houston doing it.
MY PICK: DC United (I'll go with 2-1)

There you go. Official picks from the guy with the Midas touch. Remember, last two MLS Cups I called it BEFORE the season even started (Revs v. Houston & Revs v. Galaxy), and this year I did call a United-Dynamo Cup.

Bank on it!

DIRECT KICK CHALLENGE
ABC-1
ESPN2-24
FSC-20
Direct Kick-67

Regular season is now over, but the playoffs are on the way. So, 67 games watched for $79, or $1.18 per game. What a steal!

Be Seeing You.

No comments: