Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Rumors of Dung's Death Have Been Greatly Exaggerated (to the dismay of many)

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO: Some Depeche Mode, some Sinead O'Connor and some Ben Lee.

WHAT I'M WATCHING: Finished up the weekend's MLS action, and now back into X-Files Season Two (I shall finish it, by God!).

WHAT I'M READING: Nothing at the moment. Gave up on "Hannibal Rising" even though I made it through the first three books by Thomas Harris. The end of "Hannibal" was such a huge disappointment, and the first 100 pages of this one are equally bad. Harris jumped the shark, getting too wrapped up into loving his own creation to make an interesting, realistic story. Off to the library today to begin something new.

Here I am, back after a month's absence. Just enjoying the tail-end of summer here in Northern Indiana. Hanging out with the family, playing with Number One Son while the weather is still nice, and working my way through the Jeff Award film list. See, it's a list of 100 films released in 2006. I watch them all, then I whittle it down to nominees for my Jeff Awards (but that's a whole other blog).

Can't believe it's almost mid-September already. The summer goes on officially for another two weeks, Labor Day is generally considered the end of it. Kids are back in school, vacations are done, and pools are being put up as we speak. Here at the old Dung Heap, we celebrated Jude's third birthday plus the big three holidays, and our sixth anniversary.

I'm a summer guy. As I've posted before, I love the warm weather and being able to go outside. I love taking Jude to the local park at night. I love wearing shorts and a t-shirt (or in my case, many DC United and Manchester United jerseys). I love grilling. I love driving with the windows down. I love the sun being up before me, and setting after nine at night.

But that's all going to change soon, as it does every year. It's already dark when I get up, and the sun is setting as we come home from the park at eight o'clock in the evening.

Today, for the first time in a long time, the air conditioner is off AND the windows are closed. It's chilly out.

Before too long, I'll have to get the rake out and pick up the leaves. Less this year, because last week I butchered the family tree.

Halloween is only about forty days away (hell, it's right now according to cinemas across America), and the candy is on display in the stores. Right after that is Thanksgiving, then Christmas. Pretty soon, 2007 will be but a distant memory.

I'm having fun, but time is flying ridiculously quickly lately.

BIG NEWS ALERT! Mark it down on your calendars! Friday the twenty-sixth of October around 7:45 in the morning, Son Number Two shall be born (or ripped from the womb, whichever you prefer). It's crunch time, but we're ready. Well, Mrs. Dung is ready, and she's the only one that really counts here, as it's her body the little bugger has invaded.

I'm looking forward to being a daddy to another bouncing baby boy, but still curious how I'll handle being a father of two.

NOTES FROM PLANET FOOTBALL
1. DC United is on the rise, winning seven of the last eight, and collecting twenty-two out of twenty-four points to take a nice lead in the Eastern Conference, and move closer to our second straight Supporter's Shield. The way the team is playing, I'm beginning to believe that we can win title number five come November. MLS Cup 2007 is at RFK Stadium, and if United are in the game, you can bet on a sellout, with a great crowd supporting. I like what I see.

2. Manchester United struggled out of the gate. Two draws and a loss in the Manchester derby to start the season. But things are back on track. Consecutive wins over Tottenham and Sunderland put us at eight points. It's going to be tough making up the early season lost ground, but the squad has the talent. Plus, we've been without Rooney since game one, and Ronaldo since game two.

3. Impressive win Saturday at home for Los Angeles Galaxy, especially with Landon Donovan and David Beckham not being there. But still, I can't see them making the playoffs. Too little too late there. Shame too, as they have the talent to go far, and a great coach. But injuries and poor form have hurt them. If they get everybody back next year and can avoid the injury bug, L.A. could be very dangerous in 2008.

4. DC are in form, as are Chivas USA. In MLS, in-form for the playoffs often means a championship.

5. Finally, here is the beloved...

DIRECT KICK CHALLENGE!
ABC-1
ESPN2-20
Fox Soccer Channel-16
Direct Kick package-51
(as of 9/9/07)

So that's 51 games for $79, or $1.55 per game. And there's still another month to go. What a bargain!

Good to be back.

Be Seeing You.

No comments: