Tuesday, April 3, 2007

The Annual MLS Prediction 2: Revisions!

Well, I made my Major League Soccer season predictions last week. Turns out, I made one error. The playoff format.

I'm still standing by my picks for who makes the playoffs:
EAST:
DC United, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Chicago Fire

WEST:
Houston Dynamo, Los Angeles Galaxy, FC Dallas, Colorado Rapids

Remember, it's the top two clubs in each conference, than the next four best point totals.

Now, here was my mistake. I thought they were going to seed the clubs one through eight in the bracket. I was wrong.

Once more, with feeling, just for my wife: I WAS WRONG!

No, they are keeping the conference playoff format. If one conference had more clubs make it than the other, they'd just move one club over to the other conference playoff bracket. Say three went in from the East, and five from the West, they'd move one West over to the East.

Get it?

Now, I think each conference will have four clubs make it, so it's not that big a deal according to my guesses.

Here's my revised playoff predictions:

EASTERN CONFERENCE
#1 DC United v. #4 Chicago Fire
#2 New England Revolution v. #3 New York Red Bulls

EASTERN CONFERENCE FINAL
#1 DC United v. #3 New York Red Bulls
EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: DC United (who else?)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
#1 Houston Dynamo v. #4 Colorado Rapids
#2 Los Angeles Galaxy v. #3 FC Dallas

WESTERN CONFERENCE FINAL
#1 Houston Dynamo v. #2 Los Angeles Galaxy
Now, in my original prediction I had this as the MLS Cup final, with the Galaxy winning. However, that was a different situation. I think in a one-off cup final at a neutral spot that the Galaxy would win. But a one-off conference final at the Dynamo's home stadium, I like their chances better.
WESTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS: Houston Dynamo

MLS CUP 2007
DC United v. Houston Dynamo

MLS CUP CHAMPIONS: DC United

Hate to jinx my club by picking them to win it all (for the fifth time, suckas!), but it's so very hard to repeat in MLS. Only one club has ever done it (hint-same team that will win it in 2007).

So there it is. Read it, weep, wipe your eyes, than chuckle at my thinking I can call the MLS Cup final three years in a row.

Be seeing you.

No comments: